Even as brands may take to social media platforms such as Twitter to talk to consumers, there are dos and don’ts that need to be followed to create an impact of campaign, otherwise it is just a futile effort. “There are six pillars around which brands need to weave their story, to be able to reach out to consumers on the social media platform,” Alex Josephson, head, global brand strategy, Twitter, said.
Josephson, along with Katrina Stirton Dodd, head, trends, Contagious, a brand consultancy firm spoke on the topic, ‘Twitter and contagious discuss the conversations that shape culture’, on the first day of the 66th edition of the annual Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity.
According to Dodd, communication beats consumption. “In case of this first rule, media needs to be repurposed and utilised for the point of driving consumption of content and not communication. Brands need to create content which is information and is identity based, so that users can find it easily,” she said.
Further she emphasised that getting users to participate is too important to leave it to chance. “Brands posted a 26% boost, through earned media,” she added.
Next Josephson spoke on the second rule. “Take out earpods and listen to consumers. For example, when Wendy’s stopped making spicy chicken nuggets, consumers took to Twitter to complain about it. Interestingly, not Wendy’s rather it was Burger King, which added spicy chicken nuggets to its menu. The quick service restaurant got the timing perfect, which resulted in an increase in sales,” he noted.
Parlez-vous Twitter? As per Dodd, is the third rule. “The tone of the voice matters a lot as well. Next rule is that while creating a social media strategy brands need to ‘Remember that no one care’. 77% brands available across the globe can disappear and no one will care. On Twitter the challenge is to stop users from scrolling,” she explained.
For Josephson, the fourth rule is to ‘Think small to launch big’ and the last one is that brands need to ‘Get beyond first impressions’. “Easy to count is not same as worth counting. Nike’s new campaign on #BlackLivesMatter campaign is a case in point, where the brand followed all the rules to create a campaign that not only generated important conversation but also left an impact,” he said.
As for Dodd, she stated usually an advertiser spends 60% of his money on brand building exercise, and the remaining 40% is spent on short marketing campaigns in an effort to yield results. “However, for some brands to get growth back, the ratio will have to increase to 75:25,” she said.