Amy Moussavi lists the key topline takeaways: GenZ will become the largest generation globally in 2019. Because of this, it’s important for brands and marketers to have a strong Gen Z strategy, whether this generation is a target for their business today or will be one in the next decade. It’s important to note that Gen Z consumers are true digital natives, born into a post-internet world. 57% of Gen Z feel more insecure without their mobile phones than their wallets. On consumption of content such as video and music – they’re overwhelmingly consuming this on their mobile phones rather than on TVs and other devices.
These might seem like a no-brainer, but marketers must truly embrace and respect these behavior changes.
How is Gen Z different from millennials?
According to Moussavi, Gen Z is more invested in holistic health: They purchase more health-conscious foods and they’re more likely to purchase beauty or skincare products. They’re also much more engaged in gaming and e-sports, and more likely to stream video and TV shows on their mobile phones.
1) Gen Z is just as likely as millennials to be interested in entrepreneurship. Expect this metric to increase further among Gen Z as they age into their peak income years.
2) When it comes to their outlook on the future of the environment, the results varied greatly by region: 47% of Gen Z in Europe and 46% in North America disagree that they feel positive about the future of the environment. This dipped to just 20% in APAC. This may be driven by news about environmental crises that have been amplified over the past few years in these regions.
What do these myths mean for brands and marketers and content creators?
· For content creators that are creating for a Gen Z audience, it’s important that development is grounded in truths and values that resonate with this younger audience.
· For brands and marketers, this would be about reaching Gen Z consumers where they are: online.
Snapchat in India
· Snapchat maintains a significant exclusive audience in India compared with other apps popular with the 16+ demographic
· 14% of Snapchat’s daily audience in India can’t be found on Instagram on any given day.
· On Facebook, that number more than doubles. 51% of the Snapchat audience in India can’t be found on Facebook on any given day.
· More than 90% of Snapchat’s daily audience in India can’t be found on the Twitter platform.
Source: Custom App Annie analysis commissioned by Snap Inc. Daily exclusive reach is based on the daily overlap of active users on Snapchat and competitor app; calculation equals (1-Overlap Penetration); App Annie weights iOS and Android data in their sample to reflect the general population of the market; Figures calculated for Q3 and Q4 2018